Ultramarathon

An ultramarathon (also called ultra distance) is any sporting event involving running longer than

the traditional marathon length of 42.195 kilometres (26.2188 mi).


Tuesday, June 16, 2009

TNT!

So I officially joined Team in Training!  This has probably been one of the best decisions I could have made for myself.  I haven't been this excited about something since school.  It's so cool to see the progress others and I are making.  I feel like everyone on the team was a cheerleader in their past life.  Ha.

Today's practice went well.  I am so excited about my running partner.  We have challenged ourselves and are training in the red group (more experienced/fast runners).  It is considered the hardest or most challenging group . . . I dunno, but I thought we worked out pretty hard today.  I am seriously addicted to running. 

Here is my support letter for TNT....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, 

As of this year, it has been my personal goal to run a complete marathon (many of you know how crazy I have become about running)!  On October 18th, it will be accomplished!  I will be running the full Nike Women’s Marathon in one of my favorite cities, San Francisco.  Nike Women’s Marathon is a race that draws world-class marathoners from many countries. It also draws tens of thousands of runners like me.


Ten months ago, the longest consecutive distance I had ever run was maybe 3 miles (please keep in mind that I HATED running at this point).  Its hard to believe that in a short time, I will be completing a FULL marathon.  A marathon can't be done casually.  Running 26.2 miles requires careful preparation and hard work.  So I've joined Team In Training, a program run by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).  Team In Training is a group of energetic people who are committed to improving their health, training for endurance events, supporting each other, and raising money for medical research to stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives.  I'm very glad to be part of this team and doing it in honor of all individuals who are battling blood cancers.  These people are the real heroes on our team.  I have made a commitment to train for five months to finish this marathon, and to raise $2500 for LLS.  I know I can do it with the help of my coach, teammates, family and friends.


You can be apart of something great too!  I invite you to join me in this effort by making a 100% tax-deductible contribution to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Over 75% of your contribution will directly support research as well as care for patients.  I know at this time it might be difficult to donate, but ANY amount would be appreciated.  Please consider contributing $1-5 for every mile I run.  The LLS team has conveniently provided me with my own personal website where you can securely make your donation online.  It is at http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/nikesf09/bperrydfdu.  I can also receive cash and check donations directly (please make checks out to “The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society”).  If you have any questions or need an address to send a donation to, please don’t hesitate to email me at bethayreina@gmail.com

On October 18th, you and I will prove to the world that average individuals, working together and dedicated to a cause, can help to change lives for the better.  My challenge and my race will end that day; but for some it will just be the beginning.  Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,


Bethany Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment